Pregnancy and child rearing was before a major dietary change in my life. I consumed a full fat diet of meat and dairy along with regular - albeit low - consumption of fruits and vegetables. I successfully carried four babies to full term; but due to cephalopelvic disproportion, everyone of them was born via Cesarean section.
There is a new video from Dr. McDougall's most recent Advanced Study weekend. Dr. McDougall, though he lends toward Darwinian thought (I disagree with that theory of origins), has a reasonable argument regarding C-sections. The rising number of surgical interventions for childbirth is more evidence that we are not eating properly as a nation. The starch based diet can provide perfect nutrition for everyone - even men and women in child-bearing years. Dr. McDougall compares his wife's pregnancy while eating a Standard American diet versus a strict starch based diet. This is an encouraging video to watch. He gives good reasons to try to avoid C-section as a method of childbirth. I agree with that!
Dr. John McDougall: Pregnancy and Children
A few highlights:
- All male herbivores have seminal vesicles. All male carnivores lack seminal vesicles. Humans are the only living being with seminal vesicles that consumes meat.
- Sperm counts are reduced by consumption of meat and dairy.
- Women are also less fertile when consuming animal products.
- Cesarean section prohibits the baby from being inoculated with good intestinal bacteria and instead inoculates the baby with hospital bacteria.
- Babies are bigger because the diet of pregnant American women is rich in meat and dairy.
- Fish should not be consumed by pregnant women due to environmental toxins in the meat and fat of the fish.
- 770 pregnant women studied who ate a vegan diet were completely free of pre-eclampsia.
- Don't take multi-vitamins! Pre-natal vitamins pose a significant risk to unborn babies.
- Consumption of animal foods is the cause of precocious puberty in young boys and girls - up to 5 years earlier than should naturally occur.
- 60% of a woman's pesticide content is dumped into her breast milk during the first 6 months of lactation!
- In the unfortunate event of needing a substitute for breast milk, McDougall recommends a hypo-allergenic formula: Silimac Alimentum, Advance Ross Pediatrics EleCare, Nutrimigen Lipil. Add 1/4 tsp sugar to 2 oz formula for taste acceptance.
- Fast growth in children does not mean better health.
- California is the first state to establish law (2011) that requires doctors to learn about human nutrition and diet therapy. The state of Hawaii has recently followed.
- The McDougall plan made the top 10 Best Diet list in USA Today Magazine.