There is a chemical difference between the fluoride used in toothpaste and the fluoride dumped in the public water supply. Studies have revealed the danger that fluoridated water poses to the health of the population, and most concerning to the development of young children. In fact, fluoridation of water could easily be considered a method of poisoning the population. Fortunately, the USA is in the minority worldwide with its fluoridation of water. Since 2009, more than 2000 scientific, medical and environmental professionals have called for an elimination of worldwide fluoridation. Here is the reason why it needs to stop:
Professional Perspectives on Water Fluoridation
- Fluoride is a neurotoxin
- Fluoridated water cannot be delivered to individuals with dosages proportional to the age or weight.
- National Academy of Sciences states that there is no essential use for fluoride in human growth and development.
- If there is any benefit of fluoride, it is only effective topically, not systemically.
- USA is in the minority of countries that fluoridate water. The dental health of the populations who do not consume fluoridated water compare to or exceed that of the USA.
- Children are getting a lot of fluoride from many sources, especially toothpaste.
- 2005 CDC said 32% of children in the country have dental fluorosis - damage to the tooth from too much fluoride (white spots, splotches or lines, chipping or pitting).
- Fluoride is a common component in pesticides.
- The adverse effects of fluoride on teeth is a sign that the bones have also been adversely effected by too much fluoride.
- Many organs are effected by fluoride beyond the teeth and bones.
- Fluoridation of water causes a toxicity problem.
- American Dental Association has advised parents not to use fluoridated water for infant formula.
- The level of fluoride in mother's milk is 250 times less than what we put in drinking water because nature keeps fluoride away from the infant!
- Fluoride interferes with the pineal gland, thyroid gland and seriously effects the development of the infant brain.
- There is confirmed evidence that fluoride can damage the brain in the young and in adults and lowers IQ in children.
- Fluoride's effect on the thyroid is multi-fold. The most common problem associated with fluoridated water is hypothyroidism (low thyroid function.)
- Studies revealed increased risk of bone fracture in those who drink fluoridated water. Fluoride accumulates in the bone and makes it brittle.
- The first sign of skeletal fluorosis is arthritis, bone and joint pain. 68 million Americans have some form of arthritis.
- The fluoride added to water is hydrofluorosilicic acid. Hydrofluorosilicic acid is considered a pollutant if sent out a smoke stack or dumped into the environment but is a "water treatment" when added to public drinking water. Hydrofluorosilicic acid is a waste product from the phosphate industry.
- Fluoride can be absorbed through the skin, increasing the body's exposure to the toxin.
Fluoride and chlorine are very difficult to remove from drinking/bath water. Reverse osmosis has shown to remove up to 85% of fluoride. This is an expensive solution, but worth the investment as a health protective measure where public water contains fluoride and chlorine. Click here for a company that makes RO systems.
To reduce exposure to topical fluoride by making your own toothpaste, see my blog post on Why I don't use toothpaste or chew gum.