Dr. Neal Barnard, who was raised on a cattle farm and on the standard American diet, does a great job explaining the connection between our diseases and what we eat. He highlights several chronic western diseases such as: diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimer's.
Dr. Barnard started a website http://www.pcrm.org/health/ with resources of information regarding diet and disease. He even has a place on the website where you can sign up to be a part of a dietary study for various diseases.
Disclaimer: Dr. Barnard will reference an hypothesis (Richard Leakey's) regarding how man began eating meat. It is clearly recorded in the Bible (Genesis 1-9) that man was created by God and given herbs, fruits and seeds to eat. When all of mankind had completely forgotten God, with the exception of Noah and his family, God destroyed the earth with a catastrophic world wide flood. It was following the recession of water that God blessed animals for man's food - with special instructions regarding the slaughter of the animal and not to eat the meat raw. If you have not read Genesis 1-9, I encourage you to do so. Ask God to reveal truth to your heart and mind. God has told mankind, in the Bible, that He will once again judge and destroy the earth with all who oppose Him. He is currently waiting for you. He wants everyone to understand His love and grace through Christ and to be adopted into His family. If you do not yet know Him, read the gospel of John in the Bible and decide if you would like to trust Jesus Christ as your Savior from judgement. He will give you life and peace.
Some highlights from this video interview with Dr. Barnard
- Vegan diet with limited oil will gradually reverse diabetes
- Alzheimer's could be a form of diabetes, effecting the brain. A diet of cholesterol making fats (animal) triggers the brain cells to build plaque - the hallmark of Alzheimer's disease.
- Even people with genetic predisposition for certain diseases can dictate the outcome of their health through diet.
- Heart disease is just as reversible through a plant based diet as diabetes.
- The body's own cholesterol, made by the liver, is essential and sufficient to provide hormone balance.
- Eggs are higher in cholesterol than an 8oz steak.
- As our waistlines have expanded, so has cancer become a rising problem.
- Sugar, chocolate, cheese and meat trigger addiction response in the brain.
- PCRM.org offers a free 21 day kickstart program at the following link http://support.pcrm.org/site/PageServer?pagename=21day_vegan_kickstart&JServSessionIda003=upegog3qg1.app234c
- Weight loss is best accomplished through a plant based diet.
- Eating in restaurants is possible with special requests to the chef.